An exciting opportunity to join a busy press office in a leading national charity. The Soil Association is the UK's leading membership environmental charity campaigning for people and planet-friendly food and farming.
We are seeking a press office volunteer to work with the press team to raise our profile with key national, regional, trade, consumer and online press and help deliver our daily news bulletin, Today’s News.
The role offers a range of opportunities for someone looking to gain experience working with the media and in public relations and social media. This voluntary role will offer the right applicant a chance to work within a dynamic small team, working in a busy press office. It will provide an insight into how NGOs are using social media to engage with and inspire supporters and offer many opportunities for learning and development.
The skills you need
- Excellent writing skills for a varied audience
- An understanding of social networking channels
- Good research/analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team
- An eye for a good story
9 – 12 for 5 days a week OR 9 – 5.30 for 3 days a week. The duration of the placement will be one month, with an option of extension.
What you will do
- Help research, collate and disseminate our Today’s News email bulletin
- Research media contacts and build contact lists
- Support with social media including posting updates, developing links with other users and researching new opportunities
- Write and distribute news releases and articles for press
What we can offer you
We’ll provide a full induction with opportunities to learn about the work of the Soil Association. You’ll get support and supervision from the Press Officer Manager along with networking, training and development opportunities. Reasonable travel expenses are paid.
To apply email CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Thursday 31st January 2013