Brown Cow Organics
For its Live Organic Natural Yoghurt
Our judges said, "Rich, sour, tangy, mouthwatering, keeps giving flavour, nice colour, not too thick."
Brown Cow Organics' Live Organic Natural Yoghurt is made only from the A2 beta casein rich whole milk from their Guernsey cows, and packed in recyclable and re-usable pots.
The farm employs a small team of dedicated local people (some of whom cycle to work) to hand make this artisan yoghurt in Somerset. The milk is never homogenised or pumped as this would destroy the molecular makeup of the yoghurt and the natural creaminess - hence no thickener or stabiliser is added. The yoghurt is made only of whole milk yet is less than 5% fat.
The herd is not pushed beyond their natural ability to produce milk and was noted at a Soil Association inspection as having outstanding health status in a herd. Mastitis incidence and lameness are low and herd fertility is high - a strong indicator of the high animal welfare standards achieved.
Nutrition of the herd is paramount and the farm analyses the soil in every field and each crop grown so that they know what the cows are eating. Consequently, the yoghurt is nutritionally excellent and packed full of trace elements (it is very high in Zinc and Selenium).
The farm is an ornithologist's dream, the insect population is abundant and the bee activity within their numerous margins, hedgerows, wildflowers and clover is quite breath taking.
Brown Cow Organics have shown a dedicated ethos to animal welfare, provenance of a product that supports local employment and a dedication to their local environment and most importantly supports a small family run farm.
To find out more visit www.browncoworganics.co.uk
Quick Beef Stroganoff
- 500g (1lb) Brown Cow Organics organic beef steak, cut into 2-inch strips
- 225g (8oz) sliced mushrooms
- 125g (4oz) finely chopped onions (optional)
- 1/4 pint beef stock
- 140ml (5oz) Brown Cow Organics Live Organic Natural Yoghurt
- 1 grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. (If including onions, fry them up now in the pan.)
- Then fry the beef in oil for with the onions (if included) for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the orange rind, beef stock, salt and pepper and mushrooms.
- Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the natural yoghurt, heat through very, very gently, and then serve straightaway with rice.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Gold winners in the Dairy category