Organic September in Scotland
Soil Association Scotland - 16 September 2011
Soil Association Scotland are blogging about everything Organic September in Scotland. Here's whats happening so far...
Feed Your Family from Fifty Miles
Whitmuir Farm in West Linton launched the Feed Your Family from Fifty Miles campaign on the 12th September which helps farm shops, farmer’s markets, restaurants and specialist retailers across Scotland to celebrate and promote organic, local food. Hampers containing lots of organic seasonal veg and other tasty produce from within 50 miles are available to purchase from the farm.
Whitmuir farm visits are also giving visitors a unique opportunity to view the organic farm during shop opening hours.
Organic box schemes promoting Organic September
Organic Box Schemes such as Bridgefoot Organics (Aberdeenshire), Grow Wild (West Lothian), Macleod Organics (Inverness-shire) and Pillars of Hercules (Fife) are promoting Organic September via our leaflets which provide customers with lots of useful information about the benefits of organic food and farming. Look out for one in your box!
Still to come…
Living Food at Cawdor Castle on Saturday 24th September. This year marks the sixth year of Living Food at Cawdor Castle – an event which celebrates local, organic and artisan produce. The huge marquees will be full of people telling the story of their produce, delicious aromas will fill the air, samples will stimulate the taste buds and not only will the displays be beautiful but the setting for the event at Cawdor is stunning too. Pre-book a family ticket and receive a discount!
Bread Matters are hosting a 2 day Italian Baking course at on 24th and 25th September at Macbiehill Farmhouse, West Linton. This includes a delicious Saturday evening meal featuring produce from the organic smallholding at Macbiehill Farmhouse.
East Coast Organics are holding a promotional open day on the 24th September. Attractions include lots of new rare breed animals, along with crops, tractor rides, hot food and market stalls.
Promotions throughout Scotland
• 10% off all evening meals at Tapa Organic, Glasgow, Pollokshaws branch for Soil Association members
• Quel Vin, Glasgow are celebrating Organic September with a month-long focus on organic wines, with organic wine tastings held every weekend throughout the month, finishing with an in-store tasting on 30th September by Linda Ward, of organic wine specialists Vintage Roots
• Fou Furnishings, Glasgow are running a competition to win £195. Closing date 30th September!
• Appellation Wines, Edinburgh will be holding a three day sale offering 10% off all organic wine, with a fantastic organic wine tasting in the shop on the Tuesday at 8pm.
• Furnace Stores, Inveraray, Argyll: Go along to choose from a fantastic new range of organic wines in store to celebrate Organic September.
We hope you have fun Discovering Organic in Scotland - Happy Organic September from everyone at Soil Association Scotland!