Seed Saving Group Coordinator
12 December 2012
Garden Organic is the UK's leading organic growing charity. Our mission is to promote organic gardening, focussing on individual, community and school gardens throughout the UK. We will use innovative practices to inspire and encourage people to grow organically, collaborating with others to achieve the greatest impact.
The Heritage Seed Library (HSL) aims to conserve and make available vegetable varieties that are not widely available. The HSL Department maintains a collection, mainly of European varieties. Over the decades many varieties have been dropped from popular seed catalogues. Our collection contains many of these but also some landraces and a large number of family heirloom varieties that have never been in a catalogue. We are not a gene bank and all our collection, once we have enough seed will become available to our members. One of our aims is to promote seed saving and get others to save and preserve this heritage.
The co-ordinator will promote and develop two local Seed Saving groups in the Central region of the UK, give training, advice and support to these groups, assist in events and develop a resource pack.
1. To facilitate setting up a website for those involved in the seed groups, including a forum/exchange for local mentors
2. To put together a resource pack including guidelines on seed saving, seed banking and how to set up a seed swap
3. To provide training workshops and support to groups on seed saving with the aim to establish mentors in two key areas within the Central Region
4. To assist local mentors to start becoming self-sufficient in producing seeds for events by way of training and advice
5. Assist these local groups in planning and staging a harvest celebration festival
Location: Ryton Gardens
Responsible to: Heritage Seed Library Manager
Hours: 22.5 hours per week (Fixed Term for 12 months)
Salary: £14,430 per annum
Deadline 14 December