Are organic products also fairly traded?
Our standards cover employment and are a requirement for all licensees. They are based on the UN Convention for Human Rights and the core standards of the International Labour Organisation.
Our licensees also have the option to sell their organic products under our ethical trade standard. Currently, these ethical trade standards are voluntary: licenses do not have to comply with them unless they wish to use the ethical trade label.
However, we do recommend them and in the future we may introduce these standards as an integral and mandatory element of the Soil Association organic standards.
The aim of these ethical trade organic standards is to ensure that there are:
- fair and ethical trading relationships
- socially responsible practices and
- fair and ethical employment:
- through the whole organic food chain
- from producer to retailer, and
- in both developing and developed countries
- Ethical trade scheme