For its Eggs
Our judges said, "Great yolk cooked dark, incredible flavour, thicker texture, one of the creamiest, old fashioned 'eggy' flavour."
The eggs at Nantclyd Farm are laid by free range organic hens who live in small groups in mobile sheds with year round access to pasture and hedgerows from dawn till dusk. They are fed a home mixed ration based on Welsh grown oats milled on the farm, and are part of the farm rotation which also includes fruit, vegetables, cereals and sheep. The chicks are reared from a day old on the farm, and the poultry is part of a 6-8 year rotation, working with other small organic local farms to maintain year round supply.
To find out more visit www.nantclydfarm.co.uk
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Knob of butter
- Extra ingredients to add - cheese, cream, lightly cooked chopped vegetables - whatever you fancy!
- Generously butter a ramekin dish and break an egg into it
- Season with salt and pepper and put a large knob of butter on top of the yolk.
- Stand the dishes in a roasting tin, pour enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the dish.
- Bake on a high shelf of the oven gas mark 5, 375°F, 190°C for 15-20mins.
- Ingredients such as cheese, cream, lightly cooked chopped vegetables, whatever you fancy can be added to the base of the dish.