WSH Ltd - 8 Top Tips For Suppliers
8 tips to help suppliers break into new markets
Ian Platt, Head of Supply Chain at WSH Ltd, shares some advice to help Food for Life Served Here Supplier Scheme members built successful relationships with caterers.
1. Before approaching any caterer, make sure your products fit with the ethos of their company.
2. When making initial contact by email or phone, be specific. If emailing, do not send generic sales emails.
3. Be short and punchy. Provide the relevant information about your products and the Food for Life Served Here standards they meet. (The Food for Life Served Here Supplier Scheme technical toolkit can help you do this).
4. Be proud of the accreditations you hold; they are your USPs.
5. Keep up to date with trends, and let caterers know you’re doing so, but keep perspective and don’t lose sight of the main purpose of your business – trends don’t tend to last long.
6. Don’t try to do to much; be a master of your trade.
7. Don’t forget marketing, provide details of your products story to help caterers inform their customers about how it was produced or where its come from.
8. Remind buyers you already work with about how your products can help them achieve the Food for Life Served Here Award in new locations and contracts.