Packaging resources for organic businesses
We’re committed to playing our part in reducing packaging in the organic sector, so along with 42 other organisations we've signed up to the UK Plastics Pact, launched by sustainability experts WRAP. The pact shows our support for meeting a number of ambitious industry-wide targets by 2025:
- Eliminate problematic or unnecessary single-use plastic packaging through redesign, innovation or alternative (re-use) delivery models.
- 100% of plastic packaging to be reusable, recyclable or compostable
- 70% of plastic packaging effectively recycled or composted
- 30% average recycled content across all plastic packaging
Organic brands are innovating in this area, making environmental impact a priority. Take a look at some of those brands and read more about our approach to packaging, as we help drive improvement in the organic sector, tackling this complex issue.
Working with experts
We work closely with experts and like-minded organisations from across the globe to make sure we are leading the way with our work on packaging.
Our Soil Association Packaging Working Group consists of independent packaging experts. They advise us on the content of our packaging standards and provide valuable industry insights to help keep the standards progressive, innovative and in line with best practice.
There are 4 experts in the group; Robert Herridge, Steve Jackson, Stewart Rippon and Antoinette Devine with many years’ experience throughout the packaging industry. Between them they have directed packaging departments for multi-national companies, worked with recycling charities and advised the British Standards Institute (BSI) and the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO).
The Leading Organic Alliance (LOA) Packaging Working Group is made up of organisations like the Soil Association from across Europe. All LOA members have standards that go above and beyond the EU organic regulations. The working group has been set up in order to:
- Share resources, information and expert knowledge on packaging
- Share details of innovative packaging products that our licensees might be interested in
- Learn from one another’s experiences of implementing packaging standards
- Develop joint positions and a joint packaging strategy – change can be achieved more easily if we work together