- Soil Association
- Soil Association Certification - FSC® and PEFC™ Certification for Forest Management and Chain of Custody
- Training and Other Services
- Excellence For Forest Certification Training Programme
Excellence For Forest Certification Training Programme
Our shared vision
More forests managed responsibly and more sustainable forest product supply chains
Knowledgeable and responsible professionals
The 'Excellence for Forest Certification' Training Programme
The world’s forests are under huge pressure – from agricultural commodity production,
illegal logging, a changing climate, poor governance and unsustainable forest management
practices. WWF predict a dramatic decline in forest cover over the next 100 years in a ‘do nothing’ scenario (Living Forests report, 2011), with 80% of the world’s deforestation likely to happen in just 11 countries.
At Soil Association Forestry Certification, we certify for Forest Management and Chain of Custody, allowing you to assure your customers that your business meets the highest standards of sustainability, tracking and handling of certified wood products - all of which is independently verified by our international team of highly respected auditors. We currently certify approximately 14m hectares of forest, certified in 36 countries, and over 2000 COC certificates in 49 countries.
We believe that responsible forest management, along with sustainable supply chains to consumers, are part of the solution for a sustainable future. Forests, when managed responsibly, can provide a continual supply of forest-based livelihoods, carbon storage, clean water, protected soils, timber and fibre for the world.
We’ve developed the ‘Excellence for Forest Certification Training Programme’ to assist policy-makers, NGOs, forest managers, supply chain professionals, consultants, certification auditors, and graduates - including those working in the most challenging regions - Our courses are designed to improve knowledge and understanding of responsible forest management and sustainable forest products supply chains.
The Programme will assist with:
- Understanding the wider context for responsible forest management and sustainable supply chains
- Accessing markets for responsibly produced products
- Protecting high conservation values, biodiversity, water resources and soils
- Social responsibility to indigenous peoples, local communities and those employed in the forest sector
- Voluntary forestry standards, certification and assessment/auditing
The programme will help participants to achieve this by:
- Looking at the global issues affecting forests and the latest developments in sustainability thinking
- Considering, in detail, the different components that make up responsible forest management
- Focusing on the crucial role of voluntary forestry standards and certification as practical tools for sustainability
- Using a mixture of e-learning, residential courses, field projects and peer-to-peer networking
Our flexible training programme means that we can respond to requests from partners, stakeholders and others for tailored courses based on our standard modules.
We’re also accepting registrations for our broad policy and practice course ‘Responsible Forest Management and Sustainable Forest Product Supply Chains supported by Forest Certification’. This course runs over 11 days at Shuttleworth House and woodlands in the UK.
- 12th – 23rd March 2018
- 8th – 19th October 2018
It's offered as a fully residential course (covering all meals and en-suite accommodation, including across the middle weekend) at a cost of £1,495.
More courses will be available in 2019. Our aim is to work with those that attend this course to adapt and deliver relevant modules for specific participants in other countries and regions.
As well as the course development and delivery being heavily subsidised by our funding partners,
the Richard Shuttleworth Remembrance Trust, we are also able to offer generous bursaries to support attendance. Bursaries may cover the full cost.
The 11-day course will cover a variety of topics, taught by both the Soil Association and ASTRAcademy, which are split into two types of learning:
Policy (4 Days):
- Including ecosystem services, sustainable supply chains, landscape level approaches, climate change considerations, conservation values, social requirements and certification to voluntary standards and more.
Practice (7 days):
- Including responsible forest management in practice, chain of custody and forest management certification, auditing, access to markets and more.
This includes time on-site, learning in a forest situation, and also a visit to a Chain of Custody certificate holder to look at certification in practice. All participants will be set up with a personal e-learning portal, which will help guide participants through the training course(s) from registration onwards.
Outcomes and Partnering
Participants will leave updated on the latest developments in the sustainability agenda relevant to responsible forest management and sustainable forest product supply chains, with a full understanding of the main certification schemes, i.e. FSC® and PEFC™.
Participants will understand how to tackle the risks and challenges specific to their region, and due to our unique two-tier training approach, will be able to partner with us to help deliver specific training based on a participants local or regional context.
All participants will become alumni of our programme and be registered on our e-learning platform, as well as receiving regular notification of significant changes and developments in forest certification.
For a full outline of proposed course content, please visit our Course Outline page.