An Action Plan for Poultry - consultation launch event
08 August 2013 11:00 - 08 August 2013 16:00
Hawkwood College, Painswick Old Rd, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL6 7QW
The Soil Association is holding an event on 8 August at Hawkwood College in Stroud (11am-4pm) to launch the consultation on our Action Plan for Poultry. This is your opportunity to help set priorities and partnerships for our work on poultry to 2020.
The first draft of the Action Plan sets out our aspirations for humane and sustainable poultry production, the obstacles to achieving them and the steps we plan to take to tackle these obstacles. But we want it to become a shared plan too, bringing together projects and knowledge from outside the Soil Association.
The event will be an interactive day to enable producers, processors, retailers, caterers, NGOs and other organisations with an interest in higher welfare poultry to help us shape the final Action Plan into a collaborative development plan for the sector.
Following an introduction from Helen Browning, the day will be split into three workshop sessions with speakers, based on themes of the draft Action Plan: improving organic production systems, promoting improvements across the whole industry, and promoting sustainable consumption.
Attendance is free and includes a sit-down organic lunch with opportunities for networking. Contact Astrid Toner or Kathleen Hewlett, tel 0117 314 5189 to book your place.
11:00 Welcome and Introduction from Helen Browning
11:20 Session 1: Promote sustainable consumption
- Presentation: Joanna Lewis, Head of Policy, Food for Life Partnership
- Workshops: influencing eating habits; communicating the value of sustainable, high welfare poultry products
13:15 Session 2: Promote improvements across the whole industry
- Presentation: Dr David Main, Reader in Animal Welfare and Behaviour, University of Bristol
- Workshops: improving welfare for all poultry; enabling better integrated production systems; addressing the environmental challenges facing free-range systems; improving the healthiness and eating quality of meat and eggs.
14:15 Session 3: Improve organic production systems
- Presentation: John Newman, Farm Manager, Abbey Home Farm
- Workshops: improving organic standards; addressing technical challenges in organic poultry production; growing organic sales as a share of the poultry market.
15:40 Summing up