Organic textiles - have you cottoned on yet?
Organic fashion and textiles are more popular than ever. If you're looking for clothes that are kinder to people and the planet then choose organic.
Products carrying the Soil Association symbol are made from organic fibres, have met strict environmental and social criteria during processing and have been certified by an independent, third party along the whole supply chain. The Soil Association was a founder member of GOTS – the Global Organic Textile Standard – look for the Soil Association or the GOTS symbol when buying organic cotton.
There are several reasons why organic textiles are kinder, cleaner and better:
- Organic fibres are grown without using harmful pesticides or genetically modified organisms so promote a healthier farm and environment.
- We don’t allow harmful manufacturing chemicals in organic textile production, so it’s better for wildlife and workers.
- Social conditions are high in organic textile factories, and organic cotton production can help farmers find a way out of poverty.
- Animal welfare is at the heart of organic systems, so is better for animals growing our fibres.
- Our organic textiles don’t contain allergenic, carcinogenic or toxic chemicals.