Slow Cooked Glazed Short Ribs
Slow cooked glazed short ribs by Higher Hacknell
For the Ribs:
- 1 rack of Higher Hacknell Farm jacobs ladder / short ribs
- ¼- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper,( according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 crushed cloves of garlic or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
For the glaze:
- 25g butter
- 25g sugar
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of half a lemon
- Mix all the spices and seasoning together for the marinade and rub all over the ribs. Leave them overnight if possible in the fridge.
- Melt the butter for the glaze in a saucepan over a low heat, add the sugar and vinegar and stir until dissolved, then add the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice and stir.
- Place the ribs in a roasting dish and cook very slowly at 110 -120oC for at least 3 hours or until the ribs are meltingly tender. We’ve put a big rack in the bottom oven of the Aga or left to cook all day which works well. Baste frequently with the glaze, particularly towards the end of cooking.
- For a wonderful smoky flavour, you can finish them off on a barbecue, making sure you brush on plenty of the glaze to make them deliciously sticky. They are still amazing even if you don’t get the BBQ out.
- You can serve everyone with a rib bone each or simply pull the tender beef off the bones and eat in a bun with salads. You can vary the recipe and try different spices in the marinade, we seem to do it differently every time!
For more delicious organic farm recipes visit: www.higherhacknell.co.uk/recipes