Spicy Sausage Chilli
Bangers and Mash's Spicy Sausage Chilli
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 360g The Well Hung Meat Company Organic pork sausages
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 courgette, sliced and quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g Organic Holy Cow crème fraiche
- 1 lime
- bunch of fresh mint
- bunch of fresh coriander
Heat the vegetable oil in a large casserole and brown the sausages. When browned on all sides, remove to a plate.
Add the onion and celery to the pan and cook gently until soft and translucent. Stir in the fennel seeds, chilli flakes and paprika and fry for a minute or so, before adding the courgette, yellow pepper and garlic. Cook for five minutes until the courgette softens, then pour in the kidney beans, chickpeas and tomatoes, along with the oregano and season to taste.
Lastly return the sausages to the pan, give it all a good mix together and leave to simmer gently without a lid for around 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Slice the sweet potatoes into wedges, leaving the skin on. Place in a roasting pan, toss in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for around 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are golden and beginning to brown and the edges are starting to caramelise.
Make a quick dip by squeezing a lime quarter into 200g of crème fraiche and stirring in a good handful of chopped mint and coriander.
Serve with the remaining lime cut up into quarters. Dig in and enjoy!