- 3 organic beetroots trimmed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 2 cups Mr Organic ancient grains or aborio rice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 pints veg stock
- Water if needed
- 3 tsp beetroot powder (optional)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Big twist black pepper
- Squeeze lemon
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts toasted.
- Firstly cook the beetroots by placing them in a saucepan of warm water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until tender – Aprox 20-30 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and oil to a large frying pan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or so until the onion is nice and soft and caramelising.
- Next add the garlic and stir for a few minutes then add in the grains and stir throughly to coat all the grains.
- Poor in the wine and turn up the heat a little. Again stir to combine and let the wine cook off a couple of minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of your veg stock and continue to add a cup at a time when the grains look dry.
- After a couple of cups of stock, chop the beetroot into cubes and then stir throughly to mix into the rissoto.
- Continue stirring and adding stock for aprox 30 minutes until the grains are tender.
- Season well with salt, pepper, squeeze lemon and beetroot powder (optional)
- Top with lots of toasted hazelnuts.
The original recipe was taken from Rebel Recipe's amazing food blog here.