Beetroot & Vanilla Sorbet
BOOM Awards winner blogger Kate Hackworthy keeps delighting us with her Veggie Desserts - try this amazing vegan sorbet!
“The sweet, earthy beetroot flavour isn’t masked in this sorbet, rather it shines alongside the vanilla. It makes a refreshing and eye-catching dessert – with its vivid purple colour – a dinner party palate-cleanser, or lovely in a cone on a hot summer’s day. This sorbet is particularly easy to make in an ice-cream maker, but you can use a dish in the freezer if you don’t have one.”
Ingredients - Serves 4–6
- 300g/10½oz cooked organic beetroot (roasted, steamed or boiled)
- 150g/5¼oz/¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 100g/3½fl oz/scant ½ cup water
- 2 tsp organic lemon juice
- 2 tsp organic vanilla essence
- If using an ice-cream maker, freeze the bowl ahead of time, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Purée the beetroot with a hand blender until smooth, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan over a medium-low heat, combine the sugar and water, stirring occasionally until completely dissolved. This could take about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, blend the cooled sugar syrup with the puréed beetroot, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth.
- If using an ice-cream maker, pour the cooled mixture into the pre-frozen bowl of the ice-cream maker and churn until thick, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, then either serve immediately or pour into a freezer-safe dish to store in the freezer.
- If not using an ice-cream maker, pour the cooled mixture into a large freezer-safe dish and freeze, mixing it well with a fork every half an hour over the next 4 hours. Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes to soften before serving.
The recipe works well with roasted, steamed or boiled beetroots, or even store-bought beetroots vacuum-packed in water.
Veggie Desserts & Cakes: carrot cake and beyond, published by Pavilion Books. Image credit to Clare Winfield.
Find more about Kate and her delicious veggie desserts here: https://veggiedesserts.co.uk/