Kale, Spelt & Chorizo Big Soup
Riverford have created this delicious soup, perfect to warm you up on a cold night.
“This ‘big soup’ is a chunky broth that’s almost a stew. It’s a great style of dish for using up the last odds and ends in your winter veg box. The basic requirements are onion and garlic, a grain, good stock and lots of veg, but you can liven it up with bacon or chorizo, by stirring in pesto or by sprinkling over gremolata. It also reheats well.”
Ingredients - Serves 4
- 2 tbsp organic rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 2 cooking organic chorizo sausages, skins removed, crumbled into small pieces
- 1 dried organic red chilli or a good pinch of chilli flakes, to taste
- 4 organic tomatoes (peeled if you have time), finely chopped, or 1 tbsp organic tomato purée
- 150g organic pearled spelt, rinsed well and drained
- 5 litres organic chicken or good vegetable stock
- 200g organic curly kale or cavolo nero, leaves stripped from their stalks and roughly chopped
- Organic salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan over a low heat, add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes, stirring now and then to stop it catching, until soft and translucent. Add the chorizo and fry, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the chilli, tomatoes, spelt and stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch and squeeze the kale, as instructed on page 128. Add the kale to the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the spelt is tender.
- Keep an eye on the liquid and top up a little if needed. Check the seasoning before serving.
Tip: Peeling tomatoes
To skin tomatoes easily, cut a little cross in the base then lower them in a bowl of boiling water. Leave for about 45 seconds until you can see the skins just starting to furl away at the base, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water and peel off the skins. A good tomato purée (containing only tomato) is often a better alternative in winter.
The Riverford box scheme began when Guy Watson started delivering vegetables locally to 30 friends in Devon. We now deliver around 47,000 boxes a week to homes around the UK from our regional farms. Find more about them and order their organic veg box on riverford.co.uk