Kale Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry
Annie from Mind Body Bowl has created this delicious curry where kale, chickpeas and butternut squash comes together with a homemade paste for a replenishing and tasty dinner.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 200g of short grain brown rice
- 1 lemon
- 1 butternut squash
- 100g of kale
- 1x400g tin of chick peas (or 240g of cooked chick peas)
- 200g packet of creamed coconut
- 800ml of boiling water
- chilli flakes
For the paste
- 1 lime
- 1 shallot
- 1 inch thumb of fresh ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of cardamom
- 4 tablespoons of tamari
- ¼ tablespoon of ground black pepper
- First, put the rice on to cook according to instructions. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Then begin by making the curry paste. Finely chop the shallot, ginger and garlic cloves and juice the lime, and place in a blender with all the other ingredients. Blend until a paste forms.
- Dissolve the creamed coconut in 800ml of boiling water to make coconut milk. It may be easiest to cut it up finely first. While it dissolves, chop the butternut squash into bite-size pieces.
- Add the curry paste and coconut milk to a large saucepan and stir thoroughly, bringing it to a boil. Then add the butternut squash and chickpeas and cover with a lid, turning the heat down and allowing it to simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the squash starts to soften.
- Juice the lemon and add this and the kale to saucepan, allowing the kale to wilt. Once the squash is soft, it is ready to serve, adding a sprinkle of chili flakes to taste.
The Soil Association: Organic September Recipe By Annie Clarke, Mind Body Bowl
@mind_body_bowl on twitter