This warming porridge recipe from Natasha Corrett will get you started with a healthy boost in the morning.
"This porridge is bursting with goodness – the cinnamon and baobab fruit serve to boost your immune system, and the oats release their energy slowly, giving you sustained energy levels throughout the day rather than highs and lows. You may be unfamiliar with baobab fruit powder, but no doubt have heard of the African tree it comes from. The fruit is allowed to dry on the tree, then harvested and ground into a powder. This tangy powder is more potent than vitamin C and helps to keep you well year round. So, here I’ve included it in a warming porridge, guaranteed to get you started however cold the day."
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 90g porridge oats
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2g piece cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 250ml rice milk, plus extra if necessary
- 1 tbsp baobab fruit powder
For the garnish
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- bee pollen (optional)
- Put all the porridge ingredients into a pan, stir well and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Set the pan over a low heat and stir the porridge constantly for about 2 minutes until thoroughly heated. If it starts to get too thick, add a little more rice milk to achieve the consistency you like.
- Serve hot and garnish with a scattering of pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of bee pollen, if using, for a perfect winter morning warmer.
© Natasha Corrett. Recipe taken from Honestly Healthy Cleanse by Natasha Corrett (Hodder & Stoughton £25)