Mushroom and Toasted Chestnut Soup
"This hearty mushroom soup is so rich and satisfying thanks to the creamy goodness of Plenish’s hazelnut m*lk and some toasted chestnuts. It’s has a velvety satisfying texture and deep, nutty autumnal flavour... I love using small portobello mushrooms here for their robust flavour, but chestnut mushrooms would be perfect too."
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 180g mushrooms, sliced (2 cups, packed)
- 50g whole chestnuts (1/4 cup)
- 500ml Plenish hazelnut m*lk (2 cups)
- ½ brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- hazelnuts to garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Lightly crush the chestnuts, and toast for 6 minutes to enhance their flavour. If you’re garnishing with some toasted hazelnuts, toast these now too.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan on a moderate heat.
- Gently sauté the onions, celery and crushed garlic, add a little salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Strip the thyme leaves from its stalks and add these.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the roasted chestnuts.
- Continue to sauté on a moderate heat for a further 8 minutes.
- Now add the m*lk and keep the heat moderate. (If you like it extra creamy go for 2 cups of m*lk, for a lighter soup go for 1 cup of m*lk and 1 cup of vegetable stock).
- Once the soup has just come to simmer turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool a little before blending until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, (perhaps even truffle oil!), a scattering of toasted hazelnuts if you wish, and a few thyme leaves.
Find more about Plenish and their products here: plenishcleanse.com