Rainbow Chard Dolmades
Who doesn't like a good vegetarian roll? Try this organic dolmades recipe shared by the Community Farm for Organic September.
- 15 large organic chard leaves, stalks trimmed to the leaf
- 2 organic spring onions
- 1 clove garlic
- A small handful of mint
- A small handful of parsley
- 50g organic halloumi, grated
- 20g pine nuts - dry fried until golden
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- 150g organic white rice - long grain or basmati (uncooked)
- 1 organic lemon
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- Finely the chop spring onions, herbs and garlic. Place in a bowl with the rice, halloumi, pinenuts, fennel and the zest of a lemon. Season with salt, chilli and pepper. Add 50ml of olive oil and stir well.
- Place the chard in a large bowl and pour over boiling water to soften the leaves. Drain and run under cold water to stop further cooking. Carefully flatten out a chard leaf.
- Place a spoonful of the rice mixture in a sausage shape about 1 inch from the bottom of the leaf. Fold the bottom of the leaf up and around the filling and tuck it in. Roll the parcel so that it resembles a small cigar. Continue until you have 12 stuffed leaves.
- Place the remaining leaves, lemon (sliced) and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Carefully arrange the stuffed leaves over the top of the lemon and pour over the 300ml of boiling water or stock and the rest of the olive oil. Place a small plate on top of the leaves to weigh them down. Put the lid on the pan and heat gently for 40 minutes or until the rice has cooked.
Find out more about The Community Farm Shop and order their organic boxes here: thecommunityfarm.co.uk