What is Organic Certification?
Thinking about organic certification for your business?
As the UK's largest certification body and with over 70 years experience in organic farming, Soil Association Certification has a wealth of knowledge and expertise to offer to our licensees. The organic market is stronger than ever, and with the government voicing their commitment to protecting the environment and prioritising soil health, now is a great time to go organic.
We cater to any size of business, from large-scale arable to direct-sales horticulture, and offer some of the best deals to those entering conversion, along with a bespoke business support package. Get in touch to discuss how organic certification could work for your farm.
Funding Support for Farmers
Funding grants are available to farmers converting to organic at specific times of the year across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The Northern Ireland window is currently open until 20th September 2019. Find out more about what's on offer as part of DAERA's Environmental Farming Scheme here, and get in touch with us to find out how we can help you convert and our conversion discounts.
Converting To Organic Farming
Some of the most commonly asked questions we get from farmers and growers considering organic conversionFAQ's
Why Certify with Soil Association Certification?
Soil Association Certification is the UK's leading organic certification body with over 70 years' experience in organic farming. We offer a package of practical, expert support including combined inspections, free marketing materials and regular technical communications and industry reports. We actively work to grow the organic market and can provide exclusive access to new routes to market.
What we offer:
- Practical and efficient support from a personal certification officer who understands your business and represents your sector
- Technical support from our dedicated and experienced farming support team, who are experts in organic farming
- Combined inspections and access to the local abattoir and butcher scheme
- Regular technical communications and industry reports, including a free copy of the annual Organic Market Report - an industry recognised publication worth £100
- Discounts on our ground-breaking farming programmes and access to exclusive training and learning opportunities - be first to hear about events, workshops and programmes, such as Innovative Farmers
- We help you sell organic - we're the only certification body that can provide exclusive access to new routes to market to sell your products through our schemes, events and partners; we also offer licensees exclusive, free membership to our Food for Life Supplier Scheme, allowing you to reach over 200 caterers serving +10K sites
- Be part of our award winning marketing campaigns, such as Organic September and the BOOM Awards - benefit from our free marketing materials and PR support to help you communicate the benefits of organic to your customers
- Have your voice heard, as we campaign for farmers on policy across the UK and EU
Find out everything you need to know about applying for organic certificationApply Now
Opportunities in Organic Arable: A conversion webinar for farmers
The market for organic cereals is growing, providing economic opportunities for farmers considering organic conversion. In partnership with Savills, this Soil Association Certification webinar highlights the principles and practicalities of organic arable production, current economic opportunities and the application, conversion and certification process.
Topics covered include:
- The market opportunities in organic arable
- The principalities and practicalities of organic arable farming
- Organic conversion and certification
Combine your inspection with other schemes
We offer a range of additional services to help you save time, keep costs down and avoid duplication, these are offered in combination with your annual organic inspection and cover:
- Farm assurance
A comprehensive range of industry approved farm assurance schemes including Red Tractor wherever you are in the UK
- Feed Materials Assurance Scheme (FEMAS)
Which assures the safety of feed materials entering the livestock food chain
- Farmers' retail & markets association (FARMA)
A co-operative of farmers, producers selling on a local scale, and farmers' markets organisers.
- Farm assurance
We certify a range of international schemes
To help you reach new and developing markets, we also offer certification to international organic standards:
- National Organic Programme (NOP)
For businesses exporting organic products to the USA
- Canadian Organic Regulations (COR)
For business in the UK and abroad, exporting goods to Canada and North America
- Japanese Agricultural Standard (JAS)
Inspection services for companies exporting goods to Japan.
- Bio Suisse Certification
Inspection services for companies wishing to obtain Bioswiss Certification
- Chinese Organic Standard GB/T19630.1-2011 for organic products and production
- Chinese Organic Standard GB/T 19630.2-2011 for organic processed products (Facilitation services for companies wishing to access the Chinese market.)
- National Organic Programme (NOP)