Press Office Volunteer
• Two days per week volunteering position, initially for three months with option to extend
• Deadline for applications: 9am Monday 16 October 2017
• Based in Bristol
About the Soil Association Press Office
The Press Office is a team of three delivering press support for the Soil Association’s campaigns, projects, events and specialist programmes, as well as managing press enquires and media monitoring. Supporting both the charity and certification dimensions of the Soil Association, the work of the Press Office is exciting and varied. Volunteering with us would be a great opportunity for someone seeking general media and public relations experience in a charity setting.
About the role
This is a varied role supporting a range of press office tasks, with the opportunity to deliver against a number of projects simultaneously. You will be supporting a range of Soil Association initiatives and projects, gaining a rounded understanding of the work we do and our impact. Please follow this link to learn more about the organisation’s aims and campaigns.
Regular tasks will include:
• Daily media monitoring using online systems and through independent research
• Daily analysis of media coverage and internal distribution
• Content creation and editing for newsletters
• Research tasks
You will also have the opportunity to:
• Write blogs, articles, press releases and media pitches
• Work with web content management systems
• Support press work for Soil Association campaigns and events
You’re passionate about communicating and want to learn more about how organisations spread news to the media and beyond. You’re a good team player and willing to take on a range of tasks, and you don’t hesitate to ask colleagues for advice or support when needed. You have a fluent or native level of English. You’re interested in the work of the Soil Association and other sustainable food initiatives and want to learn more through hands-on experience.
Useful previous experience:
• Experience using Microsoft Office programmes
• Experience of writing for press, web or social media
• Experience of meeting deadlines and delivering against instructions
• Experience using CMS such as WordPress, Umbraco, MailChimp – this is not essential but may form part of your role
The benefits for our volunteers
This role offers a range of opportunities for someone looking to gain experience with internal and external communications, marketing, public relations and the media. You will:
• Gain hands on experience of working in a charity press team
• Gain the opportunity to engage in other areas of the Soil Association’s work
• Earn valuable CV experience from working in a dynamic office environment that is part of the third sector
How much time to volunteer
We are ideally looking for a volunteer to work two days per week, starting in November.
Position location and transport
You will be based at our Head Office in Bristol: South Plaza, Marlborough Street, Bristol BS1 3NX. You will not need your own transport for this role.
Induction and training
We will provide a full induction with opportunities to learn about the work of the Soil Association. One of the Press Office team will be your liaison throughout your placement and will provide ongoing support and supervision, including setting personal goals and having regular one-to-one catch ups.
We reimburse expenses within agreed guidelines which should cover your travel and lunch.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com by 9am on 16 October, 2017.
A short telephone interview, and a written assignment via email, will take place at an agreed time within two weeks of the application deadline, with an anticipated start during week commencing 30 October, to be agreed depending on your availability.
If you would like further information about this volunteering opportunity, please contact Gemma by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!