What Is Kefir?
Gut health, flora, fermentation – there’s a lot of talk about probiotics and gut health right now, but what is all the fuss about? We caught up with the guys at Bio-tiful Dairy who make organic Kefir, to find out a bit more about what Kefir is, and why it’s so good for us.
What is Kefir?
Kefir (pronounced kee-fer) is a 2,000-year-old bio-live drink from the Caucasus Mountains. Packed with billions of live gut-friendly bacteria (circa. 4 billion cfu’s per bottle), this delicious cultured milk drink has unparalleled probiotic properties. Already enjoyed by millions of people all over the world, Kefir is often referred as the champagne of milk.
Naturally packed with essential vitamins and minerals (including B12 and B2), Kefir is high in protein and calcium and free from artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. It’s a lot more powerful than yoghurt as it contains over 40 strains of gut-friendly bacteria. Its beauty is in its simplicity and versatility, this is nature at its finest.
Bio-tiful Diary make their kefir from the highest quality, whole British milk – which enables us to easily digest and absorb the rich nutrient contents, plus they don’t add anything except for the authentic live cultures.
The health benefits of Kefir have been established over many centuries and it literally means ‘long life’ or ‘good life’ in old Turkish!
How is it made?
Kefir is made by adding authentic Kefir culture to milk and then letting the mixture ferment in optimised conditions. Originating from the Caucasus Mountains, the culture is made from Kefir ‘grains’, these ‘grains’ are a ‘living colony’ of naturally occurring beneficial bacteria and yeasts. The term ‘grain’ simply refers to the appearance of the cultures (they resemble small clumps of coral or cauliflower).
Why is it good for me?
- It’s packed with billions of live gut-friendly bacteria (over 40 strands, compared to typically just 4 in yoghurt)
- It is the most probiotic of all natural foods
- It’s naturally packed with essential vitamins, amino acid and minerals – including B12 and B2
- It rebalances the gut flora in your stomach, inhibiting the over-growth of bad bacteria and boosting digestion and immunity
- It’s high in protein and calcium
- It naturally boosts energy levels, reducing tiredness
- It is believed to help break down fat, cleanse your system and speed up your metabolism
- It’s rich in antioxidants and antibodies
- If you’re celiac or lactose free; it’s gluten free and low in lactose
- There is absolutely no added sugar
Where can I try Kefir?
Sold? Grab a bottle of organic Kefir from Bio-tiful Dairy and check out this delicious recipe for Kefir overnight oats.