The Food for Life Served Here Bronze Award standards are fixed. These focus on removing harmful additives and trans fats from the menu, and ensuring that the majority of food on the menu is prepared freshly on site.
Each of the Food for Life Served Here sector-specific handbooks has been updated. All caterers will need to use the 2017 versions from now on. A quick guide to the changes can be found here.
Bronze Award Standards
- No undesirable additives or trans fats
- At least 75% of dishes are freshly prepared from unprocessed ingredients
- Meat is from farms which satisfy UK welfare standards
- Eggs are from cage-free hens
- Menus are seasonal and in-season produce is highlighted
- Catering staff are supported with skills training in fresh food preparation and the Food for Life Served Here Award
- Free drinking water is prominently available
- No fish is served from the (MCS) ‘fish to avoid’ list
- Information is on display about food provenance
- All suppliers have been verified to ensure they apply appropriate food safety standards
- Caterers in schools and academies, early years, residential care settings and hospitals can demonstrate their compliance with national standards or guidelines on food and nutrition
- Menus provide for all dietary and cultural needs
Read your sector-specific Handbook
You can use your handbook as an online resource, or you can download and print your own.