Working with nature rather than against it, Soil Association Certification believe in organic alternatives. We make it simpler for you to choose organic formulations that are just as effective without any ugly compromises.
Looking for our logo on your cosmetics means so much more than just using organic ingredients. We say:
- Animal testing
- GM ingredients
- Controversial chemicals
- Parabens and Phthalates
- Synthetic colours, dyes or fragrances
Y ES TO
- Sustainably sourced organic ingredients
- Using natural colours and fragrances from plants and flowers
- Transparent manufacturing processes
- Biodegradable ingredients
- Minimal packaging with maximum
- Protecting wildlife and biodiversity
For a product to be labelled organic e.g 'Organic facial oil' 95% of ALL ingredients must be organic
For leave on products, 95% of all physically processed agro-ingredients* must be organic and at least 20% of the total ingredients must be organic.
For rinse off products, 95% of all physically processed agro-ingredients must be organic and at least 10% of the total ingredients must be organic.
* Organic cosmetic products contain ingredients which come from plants and other natural products, such as minerals. To make sure that a product works and doesn’t go 'off', some natural ingredients need to be changed. Some of these changes are simple physical processes, such as chopping, blending or combining – ingredients which have undergone these types of processes are known as Physically Processed Agro-Ingredients (PPAI).
Other ingredients undergo chemical changes, for example, heating or boiling, oxidation (adding oxygen) or other chemical reactions. These are known as Chemically Processed Agro-Ingredients. The physical and chemical processes which are permitted in COSMOS are carefully scrutinised to make sure that only the most sustainable types are allowed, in line with the principle of Green Chemistry.