Facts About Bees
Here are our top 10 interesting facts about bees:
- £690 million is the mind-boggling amount insect pollination is worth to UK crops each year
- The “waggle dance” is used by bees to teach each other about the direction and location of food sources over 6 kilometres away
- Bees actually have four wings! They hook them together to form one big pair when flying and then unhook them when not flying
- Working in harmony with nature, organic farms are up to 50% more abundant in wildlife, including bees
- 11kg - around 24 jars - is how much honey a hive will produce on average during a season
Feeling the buzz?
Sign up to receive regular emails and become part of the community fighting for nature - we'll send you tips for a sustainable life at home, updates about our work, and other ways you can get involved.Learn more
- Bees are able to extract heavy metals and pollutants when producing honey, so they can actually create very clean honey in our cities.
- 20,000 species of bees live around the world
- Not all bees produce honey: solitary bees - as their name suggests - like to live on their own, and don't have a queen either
- One queen, hundreds of male drones and thousands of female workers make up your average honey bee hive
- In the UK, many species of bee are declining, with two bumblebee species already known to be extinct. As a charity, we're working to protect our vital wildlife and promote nature-friendly farming across the country.
Join the community
You'll receive our regular emails; with news, offers, practical tips and other ways you can get involved such as fundraising and campaigning. You can unsubscribe at any time.Sign up for emails