Courgette and Lemon Cake
“If you like carrot cake then this courgette and lemon cake is for you. The courgette gives the cake a wonderful moistness that is reminiscent of a good carrot cake with cinnamon for that gentle spice.
At this time of year when courgettes are in abundance, I try and utilise what’s in season in my cooking. We are lucky during the summer months here in Devon that veggies grow so well. These courgettes from Shillingford Organics were young and sweet so absolutely perfect for this simple recipe.
Having discovered courgette cake I am eager to try baking with courgettes again. I think a courgette brownie might be pretty yummy. What do you guys think?”
- 200g (7 oz) grated organic courgette
- 150g (5 oz) coconut sugar (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 1 egg
- 125ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons organic lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin.
- In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg and oil.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake 45-55 minutes in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with fresh fruit and a big dollop of Crème fraiche as a dessert or on its own as a treat with a cup of tea. Totally yummy!
Find out more about Tara’s Busy Kitchen here: tarasbusykitchen.com