Organic Pancakes with lemon & sugar
These Buckwheat pancakes from Demuths Cookery School are the perfect option for the vegans in the family. Buckwheat flour imparts a slightly nutty taste and photogenic speckled look. And the yeast and baking powder give them a light texture we love. Experiment with using sough dough starter instead of yeast for a different depth of flavour. And enjoy!
- 200ml soya milk, warm
- 5g dried instant yeast
- 10g sugar
- 100g organic plain white flour
- 75g organic buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- sunflower oil for cooking
- Make the batter. Mix the yeast, sugar and milk together. Leave to sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve. Mix in the flours and baking powder and whisk well for a minute until smooth. Leave to sit for 30 minutes until the batter is bubbly. Lastly mix in the salt.
- Heat a thick-bottomed frying pan until it is evenly hot. Brush lightly with oil and remove the excess with a piece of kitchen roll. Spread a ladle full of batter out over the pan in a thin layer.
- Wait for a minute for the mix to set and colour up underneath
- Turn each pancake over once when golden on the underside and colour the other side.
- Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.