Alternatives to Anthelmintics
Natural methods of worm control in sheep
In June 2020 Soil Association Scotland hosted a webinar with experts Spiridoula Athanasiadou and Caroline Chylinski of Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC) exploring alternatives to anthelmintics (chemical worm treatments) in sheep.
The Soil Association and SRUC are part of an EU project called RELACS, looking at improving inputs for organic farming.
During the webinar you will hear about:
- Use of anthelmintics amongst organic farmers in Europe
- Why change is necessary
- Grazing sheep on heather - lab results so far
- Adding naturally occurring fungi (Duddingtonia flagrans) to feed - lab results so far
- Impact on animal health and welfare- results so far
- Benefits and challenges of alternative approaches
- Upcoming farm trials
To get involved in upcoming farm trials email Ana Allamand