Hobbs House Hedgehog Rolls Recipe
This recipe for hedgehog rolls is a perfect rainy day activity. Not only do these rolls look incredible, with the bready magic of Hobbs House Bakery, you can be certain that they taste amazing, too!
Hobbs House Bakery are a family bakery who have been baking bread for over 100 years, so baking is a cherished tradition passed down through six generations of the family. As a certified organic bakery, they take pride in using the best organic ingredients to create delicious, wholesome baked goods that are not only good for you but also for the planet.
In certifying organic, Hobbs House are dedicated to sustainable agriculture, biodiversity, and the overall health of the environment. By choosing organic when we shop and bake, we support a farming method that avoids synthetic pesticides and promotes healthier soil.
- 500g Strong bread flour
- 150g Sourdough
- 250g Warm Water
- 30ml Rape seed oil (2 glugs)
- 10g Sea Salt
- 7g dried yeast
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- Currants and flaked almonds for the eyes and nose
- Mixing bowl
- Lined baking tray
- Scissors for snipping
- Dough scraper
- Clean tea towel
- In a bowl weigh out all the dry ingredients. Mix them together and then add the sourdough, warm water and the oil. If the dough feels a little dry, add extra water.
- If using a mixer, mix with a dough hook for 8-10minutes until smooth. If kneading by hand do so for about 15 minutes until the dough is well developed and stretchy.
- Shape into a smooth ball and pop it back into the mixing bowl. Cover with a damp cloth. Leave somewhere warm for the dough to rise – approximately an hour.
- Remove your dough from the bowl onto a clean surface. Using a dough scraper cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll into round balls and leave to rest for a few minutes. Make the dough into a hedgehog shape by applying pressure at one side, to form the snout.
- Place the hedgehogs onto a lined baking tray, cover, and leave to rise again. They should be ready in about 45 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C. Place a small baking dish in the bottom of the oven to heat.
- Beat the egg, until well mixed and brush the rolls with the egg wash.
- Using the end of the scissors, snip the round part of the roll to form the hedgehogs’ prickles. Make sure the cuts are roughly ½ cm deep to ensure the definition remains during baking. Place 2 currants for eyes and an almond for the nose. Make sure you press them in firmly, so they don’t pop out once in the oven.
- Put your hedgehogs in the preheated oven, add ½ cup of water to the baking dish in the bottom of the oven. This is to provide some steam to help the rolls rise.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool before eating.
The Soil Association is the charity that digs deeper to create a future that works for people and planet. Learn how you can join the movement and be part of the good food revolution. Make a pledge for the planet.