Approved & Verified Inputs for organic farms
Certified organic farmers are required to use only inputs allowed by their certification body and the organic regulations.
The Soil Association's Approved and Verified Inputs scheme exists to assure that an input, such as fertiliser or compost, complies with the Soil Association standards and organic regulations. The scheme provides producers with confidence when selecting inputs, and reduces the time taken for your certification officer to approve the use of a product.
Two levels of approval are available under the scheme:
- Approved inputs are permitted for use by farmers and growers certified to the Soil Association standards. Manufacturers of these products are inspected annually, and products must be produced to the Soil Association organic standards for processors. Approved inputs are listed on the Soil Association website and products display the Soil Association Approved symbol.
- Verified products have been confirmed as suitable for use in organic systems. The composition of a product is assessed against the Soil Association standards and if the product is acceptable for use in an organic system it is listed on the Soil Association website.
It is important to note that some products may have additional conditions for use. This will be indicated on the online listing (for Verified inputs) or the packaging (for Approved inputs).
The products listed below are certified as Soil Association Approved inputs for organic farms.
You can search for:
- Fertilisers: Including liquid feeds, compound fertilisers, mineral fertilisers, trace elements, plant stimulants/tonics and liming agents.
- Composts: Including propagating media, mulches, mushroom substrates, composts suitable for organic potted herbs and soil conditioners.
- Microorganisms: Including grass and forage additives, slurry treatments, compost activators and soil nutrient availability enhancers.
Please note: we have not assessed product efficacy and the suitability for your organic business. The scope of listing indicates if the product meets the requirements of the Soil Association Standards for Northern Ireland and Soil Association Standards for Great Britain.
- SA GB – Soil Association Organic Standards for Great Britain: SA higher standards with EC organic regulations retained in GB (834, 889, 1235).
- SA NI – Soil Association Organic Standards for Northern Ireland: SA higher standards with EC organic regulation 848.
This scheme was relaunched and will be open to new applications in April 2022. As such we don’t yet have any listed verified products.
Get your product approved
If you have a product that you would like to certify or verify under this scheme, please contact the Producer Certification team.Get in touch