Raise a Glass to Organic Wine
It’s been a great year for organic wine, with sales in the UK rising by 14.3%, almost reaching the £6m mark, The Guardian reported last week. As people are becoming more aware of provenance and where their food comes from, there is a growing trend for ‘conscious consumerism’ and more people than ever are opting for organic.
“Organic wines are seeing something of a renaissance – perhaps as people rediscover that link with their environment that organic exemplifies. …It’s a runaway success story” - Finn Cottle, Soil Association Certification
Producers and supermarkets have started to take notice and are now stocking ethically minded wines and spirits. Aldi has just launched its’ first eco-friendly range of wines, which are featured in articles in both Harpers and the Daily Mail, with each bottle boasting organic, carbon neutral or ‘no added sulphur’ credentials – this is great news, as it means that it’s easier for the public to make conscious choices.
If you’d like some inspiration for where to find good organic wines, have a look at two of our licensees: Vintage Roots – one of the UK’s biggest online retailers of organic and biodynamic wines; and last year’s BOOM award winners, Davenport Organic Wines.
Why we think organic wine is great:
- Organic wine is made with grapes grown fewer pesticides & synthetic chemicals – this means more wildlife!
- It contains less sulphur dioxide which is rumoured to reduce hangovers!
- With less intensive production, and more care taken for the land and soil, the vines are grown in, it’s kinder to the environment
- You can rest assured that you know where it comes from – all organic products are fully traceable and must be strictly certified.
- All organically certified grapes and wines are GM free
For more information, have a listen to this interview on Share Radio about organic wines with Soil Association Certification Business Development Manager, Zoe Willox-Dunant.
Treat yourself and raise a glass of some great organic wine this Easter:
- See the latest from Davenport Organic Wines
- Take a look at Vintage Roots’ latest offers
- Try one of Aldi’s new range – priced between £4.99 - £7.99
- Save on organic wines at Ocado