Why Certify With Soil Association Certification
Why Certify with Soil Association Certification
Soil Association Certification is the UK’s leading organic certification body. With over 50 years’ experience in organic farming certification, we’re the experts, certifying thousands of organic farms across the UK and offering a wealth of practical knowledge and expertise to our farmer and grower licensees.
The Soil Association symbol is also the most widely recognised and most trusted organic food label among consumers and retailers.
When you certify with us, you’ll have access to a range of technical farming support, along with knowledge sharing opportunities and marketing materials.
We cater to any size of farm—from large-scale arable farms, dairies and upland sheep farms to direct-sales horticulture businesses—and offer some of the best deals to those entering conversion.
Of all the certifiers Soil Association is the most connected with the market and the most widely recognised and respected.Denise Walton, Peelham Farm
What sets us apart from other certification bodies?
We are more than just an organic certification body; as a not-for-profit business, we gift any surplus income to the Soil Association charity to raise public awareness, develop markets and safeguard the organic sector.
We lobby at government level on your behalf; advocating for the future of organic farming and food by working alongside the EU and government departments.
By certifying with Soil Association Certification you also gain access to a range of benefits including technical expertise and market opportunities:
- Expert practical support – from a dedicated Certification Officer. Our teams will guide you through the conversion process and look after your business along the way
- Producer membership – Free access to Soil Association’s Producer Membership (usually £78/year), with technical advice from organic farming experts, free subscription to the Organic Farming magazine, access to technical publications and market price data. Discounts to events and opportunities to join the Soil Association’s award-winning farmer-led training and research programmes, such as Innovative Farmers and Fabulous Farmers
- Combined inspections – we can offer combined farm assurance and other joint inspections, helping to save you time
Supply chain opportunities and new routes to market:
- Supply chain opportunities - We hold relationships with all the major retailers and wholesalers, to ensure organic is on the buying agenda and to identify supply opportunities for our licensees
- Organic Marketplace - Use our online platform to buy and sell products from other organic producers such as livestock, forage and land
Support for farms with direct routes to market:
- Free marketing materials – we help you communicate the benefits of organic farming to your customers with our digital and print marketing materials
- List your farm shop or box scheme on our website to attract new customers
- Campaigns & industry recognition – be part of our award-winning public marketing campaigns like Organic September and the Best of Organic Market (BOOM) awards
- Access to foodservice - free membership to our Food for Life Supplier Scheme (worth £1,100 per year), helping you reach 300+ caterers serving over 10,000 products
Industry insight and recognition
- Soil Association symbol – Use of the UK’s most widely recognised and trusted organic symbol, a sign of trust and integrity
- Free copies of industry reports – including the Organic Market Report full of market insights (£100 to non-licensees)
We offer discounted first and second year conversion fees, and if you're a small-scale farmer or grower, we also offer discounted fees. Get in touch to find out more.
Transferring from another certification body?
We offer a discounted first-year fee to any business transferring from other organic certification bodies. Get in touch to find out more.
Preparing Your Farm For Organic Conversion
Find out more about the requirements for organic conversion and productionFind Out More
In this section...
Speak to the Team
As a grower I receive a huge degree of confidence because Soil Association Certification have experts that really understand my business, and I get to sit down with them yearly, which helps me progress into the futureJoe Rolfe, RB Organics